[openstack-dev] [all] Maintaining httplib2 python library

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 14:53:18 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org>
Date: March 14, 2016 at 09:49:27
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [all] Maintaining httplib2 python library

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016, Sean Dague wrote:
> > On 03/14/2016 10:24 AM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
> >> And then we can (and should) also ask "Why have we been using this?
> >> How much work do cores think it would be to remove this from our
> >> global requirements?"
> >
> > +1.
>
> Despite volunteering to take care of it, I agree that if it isn't
> needed it shouldn't be used. There is a trend towards using requests
> and most of the time it is probably the better choice. I tend to
> prefer httplib2 because the interface is more semantic for _my_
> specific purposes.
>
> I'm happy to take it on outside the direct auspices of OpenStack.
> The relative difference between how much Joe has been caring for it
> and giving it a tiny bit of attention just to keep it healthy is
> huge in value, tiny in effort.

To be transparent, I've also reached out to Joe to help. My main motivation, though, is to bring it to the point where the recommendation is to use something that is not httplib2 eventually. Not every library needs to live on forever.

> > Trove doesn't seem to actually use it (though it's listed), though maybe
> > wsgi_intercept uses it directly?
> >
> > run_tests.py:from wsgi_intercept.httplib2_intercept import install as
> > wsgi_install
>
> wsgi-intercept (I maintain that) can use httplib2, http.lib or
> requests (and if you go back a few versions even more) so those tests
> could be updated to use requests and still use wsgi-intercept if that
> was desired.
>
> gabbi relies on httplib2[1] so that's the main motivating factor in me
> wanting to make sure httplib2 has a secure feature. Therefore since
> some OpenStack projects test with gabbi, httplib2 will remain a
> transitive test dependency.
>
> [1] If gabbi were to switch it wouldn't be to requests but probably
> urllib3 because the reason httplib2 was chosen is because it does
> very little for you and makes few guesses. Requests on the other
> hand... However there are no immediate plans to make any changes.

As a urllib3 maintainer (and requests maintainer) we should chat about what gabbi needs. I'd be happy to contribute reviews for switching to urllib3.

--
Ian Cordasco