[openstack-dev] [nova][pci] What is the point of the ALLOCATED vs. CLAIMED device status?

yongli he yongli.he at intel.com
Thu Mar 10 01:51:36 UTC 2016

Hi, Jay

Here is a rough summary about claimed state:

when we resizing VM to same host, suppose we now have PCI A,  will renew
to B1, B2, before the whole resizing process finished, we given user the
change to revert the re-size, it's better reverting to original PCI A,
not a new PCI devices. claimed status help to recording which one is
allocated, but not suppose be assign to the current VM.

these whole logic is missing in the Nova now,  i had post some patches
for this, but need to refresh(now Abandoned):
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:pci_resize
(ignore the first patch)

Regards
Yongli He