[openstack-dev] [neutron] - Changing the Neutron default security group rules
kevin at benton.pub
Tue Mar 1 22:52:05 UTC 2016
I know this has come up in the past, but some folks in the infra channel
brought up the topic of changing the default security groups to allow all
They had a few reasons for this that I will try to summarize here:
* Ports 'just work' out of the box so there is no troubleshooting to
eventually find out that ingress is blocked by default.
* Instances without ingress are useless so a bunch of API calls are
required to make them useful.
* Some cloud providers allow all traffic by default (e.g. Digital Ocean,
* It violates the end-to-end principle of the Internet to have a middle-box
meddling with traffic (the compute node in this case).
* Neutron cannot be trusted to do what it says it's doing with the security
groups API so users want to orchestrate firewalls directly on their
So this ultimately brings up two big questions. First, can we agree on a
set of defaults that is different than the one we have now; and, if so, how
could we possibly manage upgrades where this will completely change the
default filtering for users using the API?
Second, would it be acceptable to make this operator configurable? This
would mean users could receive different default filtering as they moved
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev