[openstack-dev] {openstack-dev][tc] Leadership training proposal/info

Colette Alexander colettealexander at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 22:41:01 UTC 2016

Hello Stackers,

This is the continuation of an ongoing conversation within the TC about
encouraging the growth of leadership skills within the community that began
just after the Mitaka summit last year[1]. After being asked by lifeless to
do a bit of research and discussing needs/wants re: leadership directly
with TC members, I made some suggestions on an etherpad[2], and was then
asked to go find out about funding possibilities.

tl;dr - If you're a member of the TC or the Board and would like to attend
Leadership Training at ZingTrain in Ann Arbor, please get back to me ASAP
with your contact info and preferred timing/dates for this two-day training
- also, please let me know whether April 20/21 (or April 21/22) would
specifically work for you or not.

Longer version:
Mark Collier and the Foundation have graciously offered to cover the costs
of training for a two-day session at ZingTrain in Ann Arbor  - this
includes the cost of breakfast/lunch for two days as well as two full
working-days of seminars. Attendees would be responsible for their own
travel, lodging, and incidental expenses beyond that (hopefully picked up
by your employer who sees this as an amazing opportunity for your career
growth). Currently, I've heard the week before the Austin Summit suggested
by more than one person coming in from out of the country as preferred
dates, but we've not committed to anything yet, so here might be a great
time and place to hash that out among interested parties. ZingTrain has
suggested a cap of ~20 people on the course, but that's not totally firm,
so it's possible to add more if more are interested, or we could hold two
separate two-day sessions to accommodate overflow. My ideal mix of people
include those who are really excited by the idea of training, and those who
are are seriously skeptical of any leadership training at all. In fact, if
you've been to leadership training before and have found it to be terrible
and awful, I think your input would be most valuable on this one. My
summary of reasoning behind the 'why' of ZingTrain can be found on the
etherpad I already mentioned[2]. Also, did I mention, the food will be
amazing? It will be[3].

Some complications: the week before the Newton Summit there will be a set
of incoming TC members (elected in early April) and likely some TC members
who will be outgoing. Some possible solutions: we can certainly push back
training til post-Summit when we can have a set of the 'new' TC, or we can
sign up anyone interested currently, and allow a limited number of newly
elected folks who are interested sign on as the election is finished. I
certainly welcome any thoughts on that.

A note about starting out with the TC/Board for training: this initiative
began as a set of conversations about leadership as a whole in the entire
OpenStack community, so the intent with limiting to TC/Board here is not
exclusion, merely finding the right place to start. My proposal with the TC
begins with them, because the leadership conversation within OpenStack
began with them, and the goals of training are really to help them talk
about defining the issue/problem collectively, within a space designed to
help people do that.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ping me on IRC
(gothicmindfood) or ask them here.

Thanks everyone!

-colette

[1]