[openstack-dev] [all] Proposal: Architecture Working Group

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 22 08:52:45 UTC 2016

Doug Wiegley wrote:
>> So I'd argue that you need both. You need the TC whenever a hard call has to be made, but in order to minimize the number of those hard calls (and favor consensus building) you also need working groups to build a bottom-up reasonable way forward.
>
> This reads very strange to me, as I’d expect a group of technical leaders to both make hard calls *and* to be able to build consensus on overall direction and vision. They’re two sides of the same coin. What is it about our process that means the TC can’t build consensus on direction, but can only impose its will? I expect you didn’t mean it to sound that way, though. Is the workload too high on the bookkeeping to prevent the vision building?

Some TC members definitely have the time (and will, and experience) to
work on architecture definition. A number of TC members (including Jay,
Robert and myself) actually called for an "architecture workgroup"
within the TC (the same way we have a communications workgroup, or a
project team guide documentation workgroup) for some time now, but it
never fully formed. One of the reasons is that we are all very busy and
were all waiting for someone else to start it up. At the same time, I
see no reason to limit that workgroup to TC members. There are other
people interested. The two groups don't have to be mutually exclusive.

So I'm very happy that Clint picked up the ball where we left it. I
expect TC members to participate in the group.

> [...]
> Don’t get me wrong, I welcome this initiative. I find it mildly disconcerting that the folks that I thought we were electing to fill this role will instead be filled by others, but the vacuum does need to be filled, and I thank Clint for stepping up.

And I don't see why architecture should be the reserved domain of
precisely 13 people. We are electing the TC to make final calls where
needed. Not to be the only people that are allowed to work on
architecture. For that, an open workgroup sounds a thousand times better.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)