[openstack-dev] [all] Proposal: Architecture Working Group

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Jun 21 18:20:27 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2016-06-21 13:29:32 -0400:
> On 06/21/2016 12:53 PM, Doug Wiegley wrote:
> > Don’t get me wrong, I welcome this initiative. I find it mildly
> > disconcerting that the folks that I thought we were electing to fill
> > this role will instead be filled by others, but the vacuum does need
> > to be filled, and I thank Clint for stepping up.
>
> I don't particularly think it's a vacuum that can be filled by a small
> group of "architects". My experience is that unless said architects are
> actually involved in building the software at hand and have a good
> understanding of why certain design choices were originally made in the
> various projects, the end deliverable of such a group tends to be the
> software equivalent of silly putty -- fun to play with but in the end,
> relatively free of practical value.

I so agree with this. I don't want this group to turn into an ivory
tower shaped fountain of suggestions. That is my nightmare actually!

What I want it to be is a group that facilitates the people who build
the components of the system coming together to collaborate on large
refactoring efforts and improving our ability to design the system
together, rather than in silos.