[openstack-dev] [cinder] [nova] os-brick privsep failures and an upgrade strategy?

Angus Lees gus at inodes.org
Wed Jun 22 03:12:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 at 05:59 Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Angus, what should we be looking at from the privsep side for debugging
> this?

The line above the screen-n-cpu.txt.gz failure you linked to is:
2016-06-21 16:21:30.994
<http://logs.openstack.org/85/331885/2/check/gate-grenade-dsvm-multinode/415e1bc/logs/new/screen-n-cpu.txt.gz?level=TRACE#_2016-06-21_16_21_30_994>
1840 WARNING oslo.privsep.daemon [-] privsep log:
/usr/local/bin/nova-rootwrap: Unauthorized command: privsep-helper
--config-file /etc/nova/nova.conf --privsep_context
os_brick.privileged.default --privsep_sock_path /tmp/tmpV5w2VC/privsep.sock
(no filter matched)

 .. so nova-rootwrap is rejecting the privsep-helper command line because
no filter matched.  This indicates the nova compute.filters file has not
been updated, or is incorrect.

As was later pointed out by mtreinish, grenade is attempting to run the
newton code against mitaka configs, and this includes using mitaka rootwrap
filters.   Unfortunately, the change to add privsep to nova's rootwrap
filters wasn't approved until the newton cycle (so that all the os-brick
privsep-related changes could be approved together), and so this doesn't
Just Work.

Digging in further, it appears that there *is* a mechanism in grenade to
upgrade rootwrap filters between major releases, but this needs to be
explicitly updated for each project+release and hasn't been for
nova+mitaka->newton.  I'm not sure how this is *meant* to work, since the
grenade "theory of upgrade" doesn't mention when configs should be updated
- the only mechanism provided is an "exception ... used sparingly."

Anyway, I added an upgrade step for nova mitaka->newton that updates
rootwrap filters appropriately(*).  Again, I'm not sure what this
communicates to deployers compared to cinder (which *did* have the updated
rootwrap filter merged in mitaka, but of course that update still needs to
be installed at some point).
(*) https://review.openstack.org/#/c/332610

 - Gus