[openstack-dev] [cinder] [nova] os-brick privsep failures and an upgrade strategy?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 21 19:58:06 UTC 2016

On 6/15/2016 1:11 AM, Angus Lees wrote:
> oslo.privsep change: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/329766/
> And the nova change that uses it: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/329769
>
> In particular I'm unsure if os-brick/os-vif is even loaded at this point
> in nova-compute main().  Does anyone know when that actually happens or
> shall I go exploring?
>
>  - Gus

An update on this.

The oslo.privsep change is merged and released in 1.9.0.

The nova change was updated to depend on oslo.privsep>=1.9.0.

To test that fix with os-brick 1.4.0, I made this change to requirements:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/331885/

That depends on the nova fix and enables os-brick 1.4.0 which is the
version that uses oslo.privsep.

It also depends on a requirements change to stable/mitaka to enable
os-brick 1.4.0. I wasn't sure if this was necessary though given
upper-constraints for stable/mitaka already caps brick at 1.2.0.

Anyway, it still fails in the grenade multinode job even with the nova
and privsep fixes:

http://logs.openstack.org/85/331885/2/check/gate-grenade-dsvm-multinode/415e1bc/logs/new/screen-n-cpu.txt.gz?level=TRACE#_2016-06-21_16_21_31_015

And I confirmed via pip-freeze that it's using oslo.privsep 1.9.0 and
os-brick 1.4.0:

http://logs.openstack.org/85/331885/2/check/gate-grenade-dsvm-multinode/415e1bc/logs/pip2-freeze.txt.gz

I did verify that it's correctly pulling in the dependent nova fix:

http://logs.openstack.org/85/331885/2/check/gate-grenade-dsvm-multinode/415e1bc/logs/devstack-gate-setup-workspace-new.txt.gz#_2016-06-21_15_37_02_958

Angus, what should we be looking at from the privsep side for debugging
this?

Matt Riedemann