[openstack-dev] [cinder] [nova] os-brick privsep failures and an upgrade strategy?

Angus Lees gus at inodes.org
Fri Jul 22 13:20:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 at 09:27 Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 07/12/2016 06:25 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> <snip>
> > We probably aren't doing anything while Sean Dague is on vacation. He's
> > back next week and we have the nova/cinder meetups, so I'm planning on
> > talking about the grenade issue in person and hopefully we'll have a
> > plan by the end of next week to move forward.
>
> After some discussions at the Nova midcycle we threw together an
> approach where we just always allow privsep-helper from oslo.rootwrap.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/344450

Were these discussions captured anywhere?  I thought we'd discussed
alternatives on os-dev, reached a conclusion, implemented the changes(*),
and verified the results all a month ago - and that we were just awaiting
nova approval.  So I'm surprised to see this sudden change in direction...

(*) Changes:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/329769/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/332610/
mriedem's verification: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/331885/

 - Gus

We did a sniff test of this, and it worked to roll over the upgrade