[openstack-dev] FPGA as a dynamic nested resources

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Wed Jul 20 16:15:08 UTC 2016

On Jul 20, 2016, at 2:07 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> For FPGA, I'd like to see an initial proposal that assumed the FPGA
> is pre-programmed & pre-divided into a fixed number of slots and simply
> deal with this. This is similar to how we dealt with PCI SR-IOV initially
> where we assumed the dev is in VF-mode only. Only later did we start to
> add cleverness around switching VF vs PF mode. For FPGA I think any kind
> of dynamic re-allocation/re-configuration is better done as a stage 2

+1 to this approach. I’m not convinced yet that Nova should be in the business of FPGA management, but once we get the basic functionality supporting FPGA working well, seeing what would be needed to add it would be much easier, and we could make a clearer determination as to whether this is feasible or not.

-- Ed Leafe