[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Big tent? (Related to Plugins for all)

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Jul 19 18:43:36 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Julien Danjou's message of 2016-07-19 09:30:36 +0200:
> On Mon, Jul 18 2016, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>
> > Thus why I think the starting of the architecture working group is a good
> > thing; because I have a believe that people are forgetting among all of this
> > that such a group holds a lot of the keys to the kingdom (whether u, the
> > reader, want to admit that or not is well the readers problem) in openstack
> > (sorry and no disrespect to independent folks & contributors), but most of us
> > work for large companies that have architects (and leads) and if those
> > architects (and leads) can get together cross-company to aggregate and (agree
> > on) and solve actual problems then that really is IMHO the only way to keep our
> > projects healthy (assuming we can even do that at this stage).
>
> I think it is a bit naive to think any working group is going to fix
> architectural problems. You know first hand what happened¹ with the Nova
> service group and tooz for example.

Perhaps if we form and start working together as a group, we can disect
why nothing happened, build consensus on the most important thing to do
next, and actually fix some architectural problems. The social structure
that teams have is a huge part of the deadlock we find ourselves in
with certain controversial changes. The idea is to unroll the dependency
loop and start _somewhere_ rather than where a lot of these efforts die:
starting _everywhere_.