[openstack-dev] [Congress] Mascot

Eric K ekcs.openstack at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 03:17:27 UTC 2016

Thanks Tim!

Here¹s another idea. It¹s pretty euro-centric, but well.

Areopagus:
* a place where (in Greek Mythology) Ares was tried by the other gods for
murder.
* also the site of an early governing council in ancient Athens, at one
point charged with investigating corruption
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areopagus
For a policy service, I think it¹s very appropriate to choose the site of a
prominent ancient council that is connected to one of the earliest
democracies (Athens). It¹s also kind of cool that the investigating
corruption is kind of like Congress identifying cases when services are
operating out of compliance with policy. Finally, it also just sounds cool.

The biggest drawback for me is that it may be hard to design a distinctive
logo based on a big rockŠ But maybe that can be overcome.
Here are some more stylized pictures a logo could be based on.
the-areopagus-where-the-city-court-would-meet-to-debate-matters-of-G38A8N.jp
<http://c8.alamy.com/comp/G38A8N/the-areopagus-where-the-city-court-would-me
et-to-debate-matters-of-G38A8N.jpg>
the-areopagus-and-the-theseum-greece-circa-1906-GCYH13.jpg
<http://c8.alamy.com/comp/GCYH13/the-areopagus-and-the-theseum-greece-circa-
1906-GCYH13.jpg>
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1021/8371/products/XGL8_010.jpeg?v=1447268
102

Between salamander, raven, and baboon, I¹d prefer salamander (could look
like a cute gecko) because it¹s just hard for a raven logo not to look
ominous and negative.
On the baboons, there is some dispute over whether a collection of baboons
is called a congress. Here¹s some discussion:
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/a_gathering_of_baboo
ns_is_called_a_congress