[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Mitaka stable branch

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobrelia at mirantis.com
Wed Jul 13 08:38:58 UTC 2016

On 07/13/2016 10:17 AM, Vladimir Kozhukalov wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I'd like to announce some of our plans on how we are going to
> support/develop Fuel Mitaka stable branch. The plan is as follows:
>
> 0) We have been working hard and have fixed a lot of bugs in Mitaka
> branch as for late. This week we are going to announce 9.0.1 release
> which is stable and production ready.
>
> 1) We are planning to backport onto stable Mitaka branch some (NOT all)
> features that are more or less regression safe. All such features will
> be thoroughly tested so to avoid lack of stability. Given this we expect
> master and stable branches will soon diverge a lot and thus it will soon
> be impossible to just cherry-pick  majority of features and bug fixes
> from master to stable and instead they often are to be re-implemented.
> It will likely require to spend twice as much time as we usually spend
> for every change that is to be landed both in master and stable.
>
> 2) We are planning to make stable Mitaka branch even more stable and
> continue to fix bugs (even medium and low). We are not planning to
> always follow Stable Branches policy [1] and backport onto stable Mitaka
> branch only those bugs that are already merged to master. Some bugs will
> be first merged to stable and then ported to master. It is just for
> conveniece and development velocity. Since master and stable will
> diverge significantly, it won't make much sense to follow "master first"
> policy. But still all bugs that make sense both for master and for
> stable must be fixed in both these branches.
>
> 3) Since Mitaka branch is expected to stay stable all the time, we are
> planning to set release tags (9.x) on stable branch approximately every
> month or so. We won't be forced to spend months on code freezing and
> stabilizing and thus we will be able to release features frequently (not
> all features but those are to be backported onto stable branch).

Few Q:
- Is the stable/mitaka the only stable branch in the scope of the changes?

- As the master and stable/mitaka will diverge, the former might contain
backwards incompatible changes, ending up the upgrade paths from
stable/mitaka to future >=10.x releases will likely be *blocked* for its
life time. Any plans how to address that?

- What about upgrade paths availability from the stable/* branches to:
  a) stable/mitaka
  b) future >=10.x releases?

> [1] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html
>

> Vladimir Kozhukalov