[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Mitaka stable branch

Vladimir Kozhukalov vkozhukalov at mirantis.com
Wed Jul 13 08:17:13 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

I'd like to announce some of our plans on how we are going to
support/develop Fuel Mitaka stable branch. The plan is as follows:

0) We have been working hard and have fixed a lot of bugs in Mitaka branch
as for late. This week we are going to announce 9.0.1 release which is
stable and production ready.

1) We are planning to backport onto stable Mitaka branch some (NOT all)
features that are more or less regression safe. All such features will be
thoroughly tested so to avoid lack of stability. Given this we expect
master and stable branches will soon diverge a lot and thus it will soon be
impossible to just cherry-pick  majority of features and bug fixes from
master to stable and instead they often are to be re-implemented. It will
likely require to spend twice as much time as we usually spend for every
change that is to be landed both in master and stable.

2) We are planning to make stable Mitaka branch even more stable and
continue to fix bugs (even medium and low). We are not planning to always
follow Stable Branches policy [1] and backport onto stable Mitaka branch
only those bugs that are already merged to master. Some bugs will be first
merged to stable and then ported to master. It is just for conveniece and
development velocity. Since master and stable will diverge significantly,
it won't make much sense to follow "master first" policy. But still all
bugs that make sense both for master and for stable must be fixed in both
these branches.

3) Since Mitaka branch is expected to stay stable all the time, we are
planning to set release tags (9.x) on stable branch approximately every
month or so. We won't be forced to spend months on code freezing and
stabilizing and thus we will be able to release features frequently (not
all features but those are to be backported onto stable branch).

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html

Vladimir Kozhukalov