[openstack-dev] [Heat][Senlin] Deprecation roadmap for Heat's Autoscaling resources?

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Jul 12 17:33:41 UTC 2016

On 04/07/16 08:06, Johannes Grassler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just noticed the note at the top of
> <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/AutoScaling>:
>
>  | The content on this page is obsolete. The autoscaling solution is
> offloaded from Heat to Senlin since Mitaka.

That isn't a page about how Autoscaling works, it's a page about a
design for a proposed new Autoscaling API in Heat. In that context, you
can see that the "autoscaling solution" means the "solution to the lack
of an autoscaling API", not "all autoscaling capabilities in OpenStack".
I've rewritten it to be clear without needing any additional context.

(Also, *everything* on the wiki is obsolete, so just don't even bother
reading it ;)

> Right now OS::Heat::AutoScalingGroup and friends still exist, even in
> the master branch. Are they slated for removal at some stage or will

No.

> they remain available even as Senlin becomes the go-to mechanism for
> autoscaling?

I expect they'll be around for a very long time indeed.

cheers,
Zane.