[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] existing centralized syslog server

Jesse Pretorius Jesse.Pretorius at rackspace.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 13:02:22 UTC 2016

On 7/6/16, 3:24 PM, "fabrice grelaud" <fabrice.grelaud at u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:

>I would like to know what is the best approach to customize our openstack-ansible deployment if we want to use our existing solution of ELK and centralized rsyslog server.
>
>We deploy openstack-ansible (mitaka 13.1.2 release) on our infrastructure with for convenient and no risk a vm for syslog server role. That is ok. But now if i want to use our centralized syslog server ?
>
>What i need is to set ip address of our existing server to the rsyslog client (containers + metal) and of course configure our rsyslog.conf to manage openstack template.
>So:
>- no need to create on the log server a lxc container (setup-hosts.yml: lxc-hosts-setup, lxc-containers-create)
>- no need to install syslog server (setup-infrastructure.yml: rsyslog-install.yml)

To add more rsyslog targets for logs you can see in https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible-rsyslog_client/blob/stable/mitaka/defaults/main.yml#L56-L73 that there is an example of the changes you need to make to /etc/openstack_deploy/user_variables.yml to include additional targets.

You may be able to do away with the log host altogether as you desire by simply leaving the ‘log_hosts’ group out of the /etc/openstack_deploy/openstack_user_config.yml and /etc/openstack_deploy/conf.d/*.yml files. This is an untested code path so you may find that we make assumptions about the presence of the log_host so please register bugs for any issues you find so that we can eradicate those assumptions. To my mind the log host is not required for a deployment if the deployer so chooses (and especially if the deployer has alternative syslog targets in-place).

>How can i modify my openstack-ansible environment (/etc/openstack_deploy, env.d, conf.d, openstack_user_config.yml, user_variables.yml, playbook ?) the most transparent manner and that permits minor release update simply ?

As long as you’re only editing things in user space (i.e. In /etc/openstack_deploy/) and not in-tree (i.e. In /opt/openstack-ansible/) then the minor upgrade process is documented here: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/openstack-ansible/mitaka/install-guide/app-minorupgrade.html

I hope that this answers your questions!

Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy - This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com and delete the original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.