[openstack-dev] [designate][charms] Synchronising domains with new bind9 server

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Fri Jul 1 17:34:42 UTC 2016

On 01/07/2016 18:04, Liam Young wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to add a new bind9 pool_target to an existing pool. The
> problem is that the new bind server has no knowledge of the existing
> zones as it missed the addzone commands when the domains where created.
> It seems to me I have 3 options:
>
> 1) To sync the zone + nzf files from an existing bind9 pool_target

This is what we recommend for scaling bind.

We have a periodic task that will clean up zones that have been updated
in a certain time, so as long as the time it takes to sync the files
is less than that window (set in the config as `periodic_sync_seconds`
in the [service:pool_manager] section) there should be no issue - the
new server will just not have all the zones + records up to date.

> 2) Write a script to extract a list of domains for all tenants from
> designate and convert those into  "rndc addzone" commands targeted at
> the new unit
> 3) Some builtin designate method I've yet to discover?

`periodic_sync_seconds` is set to `None` by default, which means it will
check all zones, but this should be set lower for busy installs.

> What would you recommend?
>
> I'm writing a designate and designate bind Juju charm and testing
> scaleout which is what caused me to trip over this issue. So for option
> 1 I'll need to synchronise a directory between Juju units of an
> application does anyone have a neat way of doing this?
> Thanks
> Liam

Thanks,

Graham