[openstack-dev] [api] service type vs. project name for use in headers

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 22:16:47 UTC 2016

On 10:55 Jan 28, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-01-28 at 11:06 +0000, Chris Dent wrote:
> > I think it is high time we resolve the question of whether the
> > api-wg guidelines are evaluating existing behaviors in OpenStack and
> > blessing the best or providing aspirational guidelines of practices
> > which are considered best at a more universal level.
>
> From my historical perspective, the API WG had essentially two phases,
> with only the first phase getting general support at the time: 1. trying
> to document existing practices and recommend best practices; 2.
> establishing rules that all OpenStack APIs must adhere to.  I think the
> first phase is essentially complete at this point, but I think Chris is
> right that it's high time to decide whether the guidelines are normative
> or informative…and my vote would be for normative, and with a focus on
> the API consumer.  After all, an API is useless if it's a pain to use :)

+1

So I see TC members commenting on this thread. I think it would be great to
have the TC members discuss this, but I know they're going to want consensus
from projects.

Projects under the big tent hopefully have some representation with the API
working group at this point [1].

It would be great if said group could actually begin this conversation with
their respected project team and understand if any of these guidelines [2] are
not being followed, and collect that information to understand where we're at
today.

I'm sure what this thread is raising is just one of the things, but right now
it's a big unknown to us where we all are currently today, and will continue to
block us from making a big decision like this.

[1] - http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/liaisons.html
[2] - https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/

--
Mike Perez