[openstack-dev] [api] service type vs. project name for use in headers

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Thu Jan 28 16:55:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-01-28 at 11:06 +0000, Chris Dent wrote:
> I think it is high time we resolve the question of whether the
> api-wg guidelines are evaluating existing behaviors in OpenStack and
> blessing the best or providing aspirational guidelines of practices
> which are considered best at a more universal level.

>From my historical perspective, the API WG had essentially two phases,
with only the first phase getting general support at the time: 1. trying
to document existing practices and recommend best practices; 2.
establishing rules that all OpenStack APIs must adhere to.  I think the
first phase is essentially complete at this point, but I think Chris is
right that it's high time to decide whether the guidelines are normative
or informative…and my vote would be for normative, and with a focus on
the API consumer.  After all, an API is useless if it's a pain to use :)
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>
Rackspace