[openstack-dev] [telemetry][ceilometer] New project: collectd-ceilometer-plugin

Foley, Emma L emma.l.foley at intel.com
Thu Jan 28 07:32:30 UTC 2016

So, metrics are grouped by the type of resource they use, and each metric has to be listed.
Grouping isn't a problem, but creating an exhaustive list might be, since there are 100+ plugins [1] in collectd which can provide statistics, although not all of these are useful, and some require extensive configuration. The plugins each provide multiple metrics, and each metric can be duplicated for a number of instances, examples: [2].

Collectd data is minimal: timestamp and volume, so there's little room to find interesting meta data.
It would be nice to see this support integrated, but it might be very tedious to list all the metric names and group by resource type without any form of
Do the resource definitions support wildcards? Collectd can provide A LOT of metrics.

Regards,
Emma

[1] https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Table_of_Plugins
[2] https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Naming_schema