[openstack-dev] [nova] Feature suggestion - API for creating VM without powering it up

Rui Chen chenrui.momo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 09:06:13 UTC 2016

Looks like we can use user_data and cloud-init to do this stuff.

Adding the following content into user_data.txt and launch instance like
this: nova boot --user-data user_data.txt ...,
the instance will shutdown after boot is finished.

power_state:
 mode: poweroff
 message: Bye Bye

You can find more details in cloud-init document[1].

[1]:
https://github.com/number5/cloud-init/blob/master/doc/examples/cloud-config.txt