[openstack-dev] [horizon] Horizon stable and fast increasing Django releases

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jan 11 02:08:43 UTC 2016

Hi there!

I maintain the Horizon package in Debian Sid. Sid currently contains
Liberty. It is a constantly reoccurring fact that Django is a too fast
moving target. The last Django 1.9 release broke lots of my (Django
related) packages, Horizon included (see:
https://bugs.debian.org/809575). I have nearly finished fixing all
packages regarding Django 1.9 compatibility, the last of them being
python-jingo (which is an indirect build-dependency).

I know that the Horizon team is constantly also fighting this battle,
though this happens only in the master branch. When django-compressor
has been released with Django 1.9 compatibility, what has been done is
cap it in the Stable gate.

While all of this is very good, this isn't enough for me in Debian Sid.
Best would be if this kind of cap was only a temporary solution until we
really fix the issues. If possible (I perfectly know that in some case
this may be difficult), I'd like to have Horizon stable to contain
backports for Django last release (currently 1.9), instead of just
capping the requirements. Otherwise, Horizon becomes the single piece in
all of OpenStack where I spend all of my maintainer's time, which really
isn't good (there's lots of work to be done in other fields).

Your thoughts? Am I the only one interested by this? Let's say I'm the
only one interested by it (I hope it's not the case), if I do the work,
will the patches be accepted in the Stable branch?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)