[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hpe.com
Wed Feb 24 16:34:49 UTC 2016

On 02/23/2016 06:14 AM, Qiming Teng wrote:
> <snip>
>>> I don't think the proposal removes that opportunity. Contributors
>>> /can/ still go to OpenStack Summits. They just don't /have to/. I
>>> just don't think every contributor needs to be present at every
>>> OpenStack Summit, while I'd like to see most of them present at
>>> every separated contributors-oriented event[tm].
>> Yes they can, but if contributors go to the design summit, then they
>> also have to get travel budget to go to the new Summit.   So, design
>> summits,  midcycle meetups, and now the split off marketing summit.
>> This is making it overall more expensive for contributors that meet
>> with customers.
>>
> My take of this is that we are saving the cost by isolating developers
> (contributors) from users/customers.
And that is exactly a problem for contributors like myself that use the
conference to meet with customers.   If we split off the summit from
developers, then I'll also have to travel to yet another meetup, just to
meet with customers.

For contributors that just focus on design and development, the proposed
change is probably fine, but for everyone else this seems to make things
worse
and adds additional costs and travel.

Walt