[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue Feb 23 11:20:54 UTC 2016

Hi ops (cc: devs),

I'm writing to you to let you know why I think Thierry's proposal is a
good one that probably works better for us than the current situation.

The design summit for us at the moment isn't as good as it could be. You
turn up, ready to contribute and help out developers with feedback and
ideas, and get told either "that release is too old, we fixed that
already" or "oh, we're already well into feature design, try next
cycle?". It's frustrating for all involved.

A key aspect of this change is the shifting of the the release cycle
(see the diagram from Thierry). The summit becomes situated a few months
after the previous release, and right at the start of the planning cycle
for the next next release.

As a result, the kind of sessions we expect developers to continue to
host at the summit are exactly the kind we can make most difference in:
gathering feedback from the previous release, discussing requirements
for the next next release and cross-project planning and strategy.

In that other, "new" separate developer-oriented event, the plan is that
the discussions are about the code, not the concepts. The "How" to do
things that were already discussed at the summit. Unless you're a
hardcore python folk, or have specific interest in the deep details of
how something works, in theory there'd be nothing of there of interest.

So, I think that by re-tasking the summit time, I think we actually end
up with much more relevance at the summit for ops. The details are to be
worked out in coming months, please participate on openstack-dev to
ensure that we continue to achieve the "Open Design" goals of this project.

Finally, to answer one specific question:

Also where do the current operators design sessions and operators
midcycle fit in here?

The changes in the proposal don't touch anything about the ops sessions
at the design summit, or the ops events that happen during the cycle,
unless you think its a good thing to do :) I have some ideas saved over
from our last thread talking about those events, but will propose we
move to a separate thread for this specifically to avoid drowning -dev ;)

Regards,

Tom