[openstack-dev] [glance]one more use case for Image Import Refactor from OPNFV

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 20:28:56 UTC 2016

On 02/22/2016 09:12 AM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Joe, I think you are proposing a perfectly legitimate use case, but it's
> not what the Glance community is calling "image import", and that's
> leading to some confusion.
>
> The Glance community has defined "image import" as: "A cloud end-user has
> a bunch of bits that they want to give to Glance in the expectation that
> (in the absence of error conditions) Glance will produce an Image (record,
> file) tuple that can subsequently be used by other OpenStack services that
> consume Images." [0]

And that is exactly the same thing as uploading an image to Glance, as
I've said all along. There is nothing substantively different about the
existing API to upload an image file compared to "importing" that same
image file.

> The server-side image import workflow allows operators to validate the
> bits an end-user has uploaded, with the extent of the validation performed
> determined by the operator.

Again, there's absolutely nothing about the existing upload API that
prevents the above from occurring.

 >  For example, a public cloud may wish to make
> sure the bits are in the correct format for that cloud so that "bad"
> images can be caught at import time, rather than at boot time, to ensure a
> better user experience.

Again, nothing preventing the existing upload API from sending some
images to a quarantined state where such actions can be taken against
the uploaded bits.

Sorry to keep beating this horse. It's long since passed on to the
afterlife.

-jay