[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] unconstrained growth, why?

Thu Feb 18 01:21:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-02-17 at 13:25 -0500, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 02/17/2016 09:28 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Are people confused about what OpenStack is because they're looking
> > for a single turn-key system from a vendor? Because they don't know
> > what features they want/need? Or are we just doing a bad job of
> > communicating the product vs. kit nature of the project?
>
> I think we are doing a bad job of communicating the product vs. kit
> nature of OpenStack.

I think that might because OpenStack is both an upstream and
effectively a distribution (which you're attempting to control via
trademarks and defcore).  What you're seeing is natural schizophrenia
because it's really hard to think of upstream and distribution at the
same time (upstream tends to think of pure implementations and distros
tend to think about what their specific customers need and problems).

I'm not saying don't do this ... effectively Mozilla does this as well,
but it is the source of the confusion, I think.

James