[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 11:21:51 UTC 2016

On 02/16/2016 11:30 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> So I think the project team is doing everything we've asked.  We
> changed our policies around new projects to emphasize the social
> aspects of projects, and community interactions. Telling a bunch
> of folks that they "are not OpenStack" even though they follow those
> policies is rather distressing.  I think we should be looking for
> ways to say "yes" to new projects, rather than "no."

My disagreements with accepting Poppy has been around testing, so let me
reiterate what I've already said in this thread.

The governance currently states that under Open Development "The project
has core reviewers and adopts a test-driven gate in the OpenStack
infrastructure for changes" [1].

If we don't have a solution like OpenCDN, Poppy has to adopt a reference
implementation that is a commercial entity, and infra has to also be
dependent on it. I get Infra is already dependent on public cloud
donations, but if we start opening the door to allow projects to bring
in those commercial dependencies, that's not good.

[1] -
http://governance.openstack.org/reference/new-projects-requirements.html

--
Mike Perez