[openstack-dev] [ironic] Baremetal Deploy Ramdisk functional testing

Maksym Lobur mlobur at mirantis.com
Tue Feb 16 08:34:15 UTC 2016

Thanks Jim for the feedback, see my comments below

> So, as I understand this, the goal is to test the bareon ramdisk without
> bringing up the rest of the services that talk to it?

Correct.

> Currently in ironic-land, the only runtime testing of our ramdisk(s) is
> the integration tests we do with the rest of openstack (the dsvm tests).
> We've considered functional tests of the ironic-python-agent API, but
> haven't much considered writing scripts to boot it on a VM and do
> things.
>
> Given the ways IPA interacts with Ironic, we'd basically just end up
> re-writing a bunch of Ironic code if we wanted to do this; however it
> might not be too much code, so maybe it's worth it? I'm not sure; I
> guess it isn't a major priority for us right now.

I know IPA uses a little bit more complex interaction than we are, but still this might be simpler than it seems.
I can understand you about priorities. If you are focusing towards simplicity of the IPA there’s no much benefit from this kind of testing. But once you want to support more complex deployments, some implicit deployment optimizations inside the agent, it might add a value.

> All this is to say, I guess I'd have to look at the functional test
> framework you're building. I'm not opposed to making it more general,
> and as changing repo names is expensive (requires gerrit downtime), it
> might be worth naming it ramdisk-func-test or similar now just in case. :)

Got it. We’ll change naming. If there’s a chance it is going to be reused, we don’t want to tie it to bareon.