[openstack-dev] [keystone] Testing schema migrations was RE: [grenade][keystone] Keystone multinode grenade

Grasza, Grzegorz grzegorz.grasza at intel.com
Mon Feb 15 13:58:52 UTC 2016

> From: Morgan Fainberg [mailto:morgan.fainberg at gmail.com]
>>
>> Keystone stable working with master db seems like an interesting bit, are
>> there already tests for that?
>
>Not yet. Right now there is only a unit test, checking obvious incompatibilities.
>
> As an FYI, this test was reverted as we spent a significant time around covering
> it at the midcycle (and it was going to require us to significantly rework in-flight
> code (and was developed / agreed upon before the new db restrictions landed).
> We will be revisiting this with the now better understanding of the scope and
> how to handle the "limited" downtime upgrade for first thing in Newton.

In the commit description you mentioned that "the base feature of what this test
encompasses will instead be migrated over to a full separate gate/check job that
will be able to handle the more complex tasks of ensuring schema upgrades make
sense."

As I understand, a gate test which upgrades the DB to the latest version and then
runs tempest on the old release would cover the cases which the unit test covered.
Is this what you had in mind?

Do you think I can start working on it, or maybe we should synchronize on what the
final approach should be beforehand?

Can you elaborate more about what the ideas of testing schema changes were
at the midcycle?

What especially interests me, is whether you discussed any ideas which might be
better than just running tempest on keystone in HA.

I'm sorry I couldn't take part in these discussions.

/ Greg