[openstack-dev] [Fuel][QA] What is the preferred way to bootstrap a baremetal node with Fuel on product CI?

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Tue Feb 9 18:21:38 UTC 2016

Hi,

Ironic also supports running it as standalone service, w/o
Keystone/Glance/Neutron/Nova etc integration, deploying images from HTTP
links. Could that be an option too?

BTW, there is already an official project under OpenStack Baremetal program
called Bifrost [0] that, quoting, "automates the task of deploying a base
image onto a set of known hardware using Ironic" by installing and
configuring Ironic in standalone mode.

[0] https://github.com/openstack/bifrost

Cheers,

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 6:46 PM Dennis Dmitriev <ddmitriev at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> To run system tests on CI on a daily basis using baremetal servers
> instead of VMs, Fuel admin node also should be bootstrapped.
>
> There is no a simple way to mount an ISO with Fuel as a CDROM or USB
> device to a baremetal server, so we choose the provisioning with PXE.
>
> It could be done in different ways:
>
> - Configure a libvirt bridge as dnsmasq/tftp server for admin/PXE network.
>       Benefits: no additional services to be configured.
>       Doubts: ISO should be mounted on the CI host (via fusefs?); a HTTP
> or NFS server for basic provisioning should be started in the admin/PXE
> network (on the CI host);
>
> - Start a VM that is connected to admin/PXE network, and configure
> dnsmasq/tftp there.
>       Benefits: no additional configuration on the CI host should be
> performed
>       Doubts: starting the PXE service becomes a little complicated
>
> - Use Ironic for manage baremetal nodes.
>       Benefits: good support for different hardware, support for
> provisioning from ISO 'out of the box'.
>       Doubts: support for Ironic cannot be implemented in short terms,
> and there should be performed additional investigations.
>
> My question is:  what other benefits or doubts I missed for first two
> ways? Is there other ways to provision baremetal with Fuel that can be
> automated in short terms?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
>

> --
> Regards,