[openstack-dev] [Fuel][QA] What is the preferred way to bootstrap a baremetal node with Fuel on product CI?

Dennis Dmitriev ddmitriev at mirantis.com
Tue Feb 9 16:43:51 UTC 2016

Hi all!

To run system tests on CI on a daily basis using baremetal servers
instead of VMs, Fuel admin node also should be bootstrapped.

There is no a simple way to mount an ISO with Fuel as a CDROM or USB
device to a baremetal server, so we choose the provisioning with PXE.

It could be done in different ways:

- Configure a libvirt bridge as dnsmasq/tftp server for admin/PXE network.
      Benefits: no additional services to be configured.
      Doubts: ISO should be mounted on the CI host (via fusefs?); a HTTP
or NFS server for basic provisioning should be started in the admin/PXE
network (on the CI host);

- Start a VM that is connected to admin/PXE network, and configure
dnsmasq/tftp there.
      Benefits: no additional configuration on the CI host should be
performed
      Doubts: starting the PXE service becomes a little complicated

- Use Ironic for manage baremetal nodes.
      Benefits: good support for different hardware, support for
provisioning from ISO 'out of the box'.
      Doubts: support for Ironic cannot be implemented in short terms,
and there should be performed additional investigations.

My question is:  what other benefits or doubts I missed for first two
ways? Is there other ways to provision baremetal with Fuel that can be
automated in short terms?

Thanks for any suggestions!

--
Regards,