[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

Gal Sagie gal.sagie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 07:27:29 UTC 2016

If you compare the number of people that come to mid-cycles with the number
of people that come
to the summit and attend the design summit, i am sure (without knowing
exact numbers) that there is a big difference
in favor of the design summit.

I also think that its important that users/operators meet and discuss their
use cases and problems with the developers
this is the only chance to really do this on large open scale.

I dont think splitting the two is a good idea.

Maybe the solution is to split the design summits  sessions into mini
smaller sessions and delegate responsibility,
hopefully smaller teams can achieve better more focused milestones.
(From my small 2 summits experience, usually the last day with the open
talks is the most efficient one)

Another thing we need to get better at are "virtual sprints" working
groups, i think that we still need to see
how to make these work more efficiently but i have a feeling they can be
efficient with certain responsibility
from the people attending.

Gal

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 1:51 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Fifth - if we do this, the real need for the mid-cycles we currently have
>> probably goes away since the summit week can be a legit wall-to-wall work
>> week.
>>

> [snip]
>
> Another reply to a specific point...
>
> I disagree strongly here, at least in the Nova case. I feel Nova has been
> getting along much better and generally pulling in the same direction for
> the last few releases. I think one of the things we did to get there is the
> mid-cycles, which gave us more time to sync on the overall direction of
> Nova, as well as ensuring we start being honest at this point in the
> release cycle about what we're going to get done before we ship.
>
> For Nova at least its really important to have an approximately milestone
> 2 check point where we can decide what to defer and what to focus on.
> Otherwise we end up back in a place where we release a mish mash of half
> finished features.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Rackspace Australia