[openstack-dev] [docs][all] Software design in openstack

Nick Yeates nyeates at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 18:59:27 UTC 2016

I have been scouring OpenStack artifacts to find examples of what encourages good software design / patterns / architecture in the wider system and code. The info will be used in teaching university students. I suppose it would be good for new developers of the community too.

I found hacking.rst files, along with blueprints and bugs and code reviews, but cant piece together a full picture of how good architecture and design are encouraged via process and/or documents.
  - Architecture descriptions (ex: http://www.aosabook.org/en/index.html <http://www.aosabook.org/en/index.html> )?
  - Code standards?
  - Design rules of thumb?
I see the Design Summits, but have not yet found in-depth design recommendations or a process.

Does it come from Developers personal experience, or are there some sort of artifacts to point at? I am looking for both specific examples of design patterns, but more a meta of that. What encourages or describes good design in OpenStack?

Thanks,
-Nick Yeates
IRC: nyeates (freenode)