[openstack-dev] [nova] Feedback for upcoming user survey questionnaire

Balazs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Wed Dec 28 10:43:17 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Matt Riedemann
<mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> We have the opportunity to again [1] ask a question in the upcoming
> user survey which will be conducted in February. We can ask one
> question and have it directed to either *users* of Nova, people
> *testing* nova, or people *interested* in using/adopting nova. Given
> the existing adoption of Nova in OpenStack deployments (98% as of
> October 2016) I think that sliding scale really only makes sense to
> direct a question at existing users of the project. It's also
> suggested that for projects with over 50% adoption to make the
> question quantitative rather than qualitative.
>
> We have until January 9th to submit a question. If you have any
> quantitative questions about Nova to users, please reply to this
> thread before then.
>
> Personally I tend to be interested in feedback on recent development,
> so I'd like to ask questions about cells v2 or the placement API,
> i.e. they were optional in Newton but how many deployments that have
> upgraded to Newton are deploying those features (maybe also noting
> they will be required to upgrade to Ocata)? However, the other side
> of me knows that most major production deployments are also lagging
> behind by a few releases, and may only now be upgrading, or planning
> to upgrade, to Mitaka since we've recently end-of-life'd the Liberty
> release. So asking questions about cells v2 or the placement service
> is probably premature. It might be better to ask about microversion
> adoption, i.e. if you're monitoring API request traffic to your
> cloud, what % of compute API requests are using a microversion > 2.1.
>
> Previous release priorities might spur some other ideas [2].
>
> [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-September/103396.html
> [2] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/#priorities
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Riedemann

I would like to ask about notifications if possible:

Do you consume (or plan to consume) nova notifications in your
deployment? Have you heard about the versioned notifications? Do you
consume (or plan to consume) versioned notifications?

Cheers,
gibi