[openstack-dev] [nova] What would you like to ask users in order to plan Ocata development?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 9 19:41:28 UTC 2016

I've got to fill out some questions for the Newton wrap up and some
questions about looking forward for Ocata and Pike, and one of the
open-ended questions, I think used for the user survey, is:

"What are the questions you would like to ask users for additional
insights to help guide the planned development in the Ocata release?"

I have some questions, but wanted to send this out for broader input
from the team since I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of on a
Friday afternoon.

Random thoughts:

- How is the adoption of the v2.1 API going? Are users sticking with
just the 2.1 microversion or are they incrementally moving forward with
newer microversions as they are released?

- What major gaps do you feel exist in the Compute API?

- What makes deploying/operating Nova the most difficult?

- Are we effectively communicating changes/features, be it release
notes, mailing list threads, docs, other? (Personally my feeling is we
probably don't spend enough time on documentation and it's an afterthought).

- What are we not focusing on? For example, major features that are
missing, or are we spending too much time on features and not enough
time on fixing bugs?

--

That last one is hard since the big multi-cycle issues that we're
focusing on, like cells v2 and the placement service, are not really

Matt Riedemann