[openstack-dev] [kolla][tc] Video Meetings - input requested

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Dec 16 15:40:59 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Michał Jastrzębski's message of 2016-12-15 14:57:10 -0600:

> I will defend this thing as something what we needed at the time.
> Sometimes heated up video discussion helps to resolve
> misunderstandings which otherwise could grow up and become conflicts
> in community, which would be much worse.
>
> So please, let's not put artificial rules regarding our communication
> just to be "inclusive". If there is a will to be inclusive, we can be
> regardless of tool, if there is none, no tool will help. I will
> advocate to allow whichever way community decides to work to that
> community and focus on building culture of inclusiveness.
>
> If we have correct mindset, that's all that matters and I, for one, am
> strong believer that Kolla community has been built on top of this
> mindset, and we keep doing good job on following it.

I think most people are agreeing that having video meeings sometimes
is OK, as long as there is sufficient information published after
the fact. The reason we log IRC channels and meetings is to establish
a record that we can refer to when we miss meetings or need to
refresh our memories of a decision. That just takes extra effort
for meetings held in other ways.

I am a bit concerned that you seem to be treating this discussion
as hypothetical when it is not.  Many members of the community have
explained to you why it is a problem in general, but a member of
your team has brought you direct complaints about the way these
meetings are being managed. This is from someone trusted enough to
act as temporary PTL while you were unable to serve.

Please re-read the original complaints and the suggestions for
addressing them in this thread and consider what actions the Kolla
team can take to improve in this area.

Doug