[openstack-dev] [all][ptls][tc][goals] community goals for Pike

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Dec 15 18:00:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> One of the big things to consider is which of these items directly
> support one of the key PWG issues: "painless upgrades"
>
> The following items: movinging paste.ini out of config, new style
> olso.policy (in code), and rootwrap -> privsep all eliminate files in
> /etc that dramatically impact code execution, and need careful merging
> during upgrades.
>
> These are kind of the trifecta of content that really never should have
> been in /etc, except it was easy to hack out in an initial version.
>
> So, it may not be evident to users that this is what's getting in the
> way of features rolling out to them, or them being 2 to 3 releases
> behind master, it's a huge part of it. As such, I think any/all of them
> should be considered as top level item for the next round of priorities.

Yep -- this is the heart of the comms difficulty with these goals. I
struggled myself to understand why there were perceived "tech debt" items
high on the list. I had to have the cascading need explained to me that got
the end user outcome from the goal. So, adding that additional context to
the goal proposals helps.

Anne

> [...]
> >     > number of people who are interested to contribute on a Goal (if
> this
> >     > Goal doesn't have a team yet).
> >     > For now, openstack/governance is the repository for Goals, please
> >     > propose them here.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Please give feedback, we're doing iterations here, and hopefully
> we'll
> >     > improve our Community Goals over the next cycles.
> >     > Thanks for your time,
> >
> >     Two weeks happened, here's a digest version of the etherpad:
> >
> >     - Most of projects achieved the goal for Ocata, and we saw strong
> >     interest to do it on time
> >     - Some confusion between the ACK'ing of a goal, and actually doing
> the work.
> >     - Some projects were slow on the uptake (of starting the work) and
> >     even reviewing the patches.
> >     - For now, keep using openstack/governance repo for documenting
> Goals.
> >     - Improve guidance on what projects are expected to do when updating
> >     the status of the Goal.
> >     - For each Goal, document who the "guides" are and how to find them
> >     when help is needed.
> >     - It seems like achieving multiple Goals in a single cycle wouldn't
> be
> >     possible for all teams, we could prioritize them to let teams achieve
> >     more than one Goal within a cycle.
> >
> >     What's next?
> >     https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/community-goals
> >     Now that we have a good set of Goals that are proposed in this
> >     etherpad, we might want to rank them by priority (1 is the most
> >     important). Feel free to do it in the etherpad, by putting a rank in
> >     "Priority rank".
> >
> >     Also, I've noticed some Goals might be too big to be achievable
> within
> >     a single cycle and might need to be split (Rolling upgrades for
> >     example). If you're author of one these goals, please do so.
> >     I hope we can start defining Pike Goals by next week, so we can start
> >     documenting what we would expect and the guidance to achieve it/them.
> >
> >     Any feedback is welcome,
> >     --
> >     Emilien Macchi

> > ________________________________
> > Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company
> registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington
> Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy
> can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy - This e-mail
> message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the
> recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed
> material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please
> notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com and delete the
> original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Anne Gentle
--
Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com