[openstack-dev] [release][ptl][all] self-service branch management

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 20:34:27 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> [Sending again due to mail delivery issues.]
>
> The release team is pleased to announce that the branch automation
> work is now complete, and that teams can now manage feature and
> stable branch creation through the openstack/releases repository.
>
> Creating a branch is very similar to creating a release: Edit the
> appropriate file in the releases repo to add the branch information,
> let the release team review it, and then when the patch is approved
> the bots make your branch. New branches come with patches to update
> .gitreview, reno, and constraint settings where needed.
>
> For the complete details about how to format a branch request, see
> the README.rst file in the repo [1].
>
> Thanks, as always, to the Infra team for their help in implementing
> this automation.

That's awesome, and we were looking forward to it.
Regarding schedule, it's not clear to me when we *have to* propose the branches.

For example in TripleO, we've noticed that our work on upgrades
usually happens more at the end of a cycle so we would like to wait
for the last time before branching our repos.
Example with Ocata, when would you suggest to start branching?

> Doug
>
> [1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/releases/tree/README.rst#n63

Emilien Macchi