[openstack-dev] [kolla][tc] Video Meetings - input requested

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Dec 14 10:03:54 UTC 2016

Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2016, at 10:30 PM, Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com> wrote:
>
>> The issue raised is they violate the 4 opens.
>
> Not necessarily. If you have regular planning meetings and discussions in an open manner as prescribed, an occasional conference to discuss a particular matter is not a "violation". What if someone in your office is working on OpenStack too, and you meet in the hallway and discuss something technical? Does that violate the 4 Opens?
>
> I think we have to balance realism with idealism.

Like I said elsewhere, this is not about suppressing any type of visual
or more direct interaction... It is about making sure you are not
excluding anyone from a project.

In the precise case we are discussing here, there are complaints from
contributors to a project that recent Hangouts meetings used in the
Kolla team results in them being excluded (either technically by not
being able to join them, or creating additional difficulties for
non-native language speakers to follow or participate in them).

I'm all for giving teams a bit of flexibility in how they organize, but
if the process chosen by some of the contributors is clearly excluding
other contributors, falling back to a more inclusive medium (like IRC
meetings) is the obvious solution. Jeffrey took the hard step of raising
the issue, I don't think ignoring his point and pretending Hangout
meetings are just fine will get you anywhere.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)