[openstack-dev] [cinder] drbdmanage is no more GPL2

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 13 12:54:26 UTC 2016

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2016-12-12 16:44:53 +0000 (+0000), Duncan Thomas wrote:
> [...]
>> Having read the Openstack rules linked to earlier in the thread
>> ( https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/licensing.html )
>> we're clearly violating that.
> [...]
>
> Keep in mind that those guidelines were drafted in collaboration
> with legal counsel for the foundation, and so do not merely
> represent community ideals we strive to meet but actual legal
> obligations to avoid license incompatibilities where driver
> interfaces can imply derivative works. There's been some
> cross-project review of driver commonalities/differences underway to
> inform a more structured legal discussion. It's not complete yet as
> far as I know, but expect the broader discussion on it to resume
> fairly soon.

We also wanted to make progress on the driver-teams discussion (see
[1]), so that we know what options we can offer to driver developers
before we settle on where the non-FOSS lib/CLI/interface line lies for
in-tree, out-tree but in-openstack, and out-openstack.

I hope the driver teams discussion can be settled at the TC meeting
today, so hopefully the broader discussion can resume soon.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-November/108074.html

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)