[openstack-dev] Changes to DNS integration behavior?

Kimball, Conrad conrad.kimball at boeing.com
Mon Dec 12 19:49:43 UTC 2016

We are in the early phases of a project to deploy OpenStack and we face the question of DNS integration when launching a VM instance.

We have found the DNS Integration documentation at http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/networking-guide/config-dns-int.html, but to our understanding it doesn't do what we want to do.

Where is the best forum for discussing possible changes in this behavior?

- - -

Specifically, we do not tie DNS domains to networks - any particular network may have VM ports with a variety of DNS domains, with the choice of DNS domain left to the person deploying the VM instance (we use DNS domains to indicate business unit association, infrastructure function, and so forth).

So we would want the DNS integration to allow specifying both a dns_name and a dns_domain when creating a port.  The documentation link above says this is allowed for floating IPs, but not for ports - ports can specify only a dns_name and always inherit the dns_domain from the network.

Conrad Kimball
Associate Technical Fellow
Chief Architect, Enterprise Cloud Services
Engineering, Operations & Technology / Information Technology / Core Infrastructure Engineering
conrad.kimball at boeing.com<mailto:conrad.kimball at boeing.com>
P.O. Box 3707, Mail Code 7M-TE
Seattle, WA  98124-2207
Bellevue 33-11 bldg, office 3A6-3.9