[openstack-dev] [ironic] unsupported drivers and their future

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 8 18:23:32 UTC 2016

Hi all,

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Jim Rollenhagen <jim at jimrollenhagen.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy <
> pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> HI all,
>>
>> we (ironic community) some time ago decided [0] to require third-party CI
>> for any driver that is present in the main ironic code tree. I'd like to
>> discuss the state of currently unsupported drivers and how to proceed with
>> them.
>>
>> Here is the current rundown, please correct me if I've got something
>> wrong:
>>
>> * AMT - already in ironic-staging-drivers repo, patch removing those from
>> ironic is on review [1]
>>

> Agree - as a note, those were deprecated September 16, so we need to wait
> for December 16 to land that.
>
> I've -2'd the patch, but reviews welcome so we can land that on the 16th.

Thanks for reminding about deprecation period. This also means that the
last patch for removal of deprecated agent vendor passthru is blocked until
Dec 16 too. I will rebase that chain again and change commit order so we
could in principle land the updates to iLO and OneView drivers without
being blocked for a week.

>> * iBoot - already in ironic-staging-drivers repo, patch removing those
>> from ironic is on review [1]
>>

> Ditto.
>

>> * WakeOnLan - already in ironic-staging-drivers repo, patch removing
>> those from ironic is on review [1]
>>

> Ditto.
>

>> * IPMINative/Pyghmi - community driver, AFAIU community still considers
>> those as a viable alternative for the future and is constantly
>> re-evaluating maturity of pyghmi IPMI implementation, so these are to stay
>> for now
>>

> Well, we deprecated these, unless someone gets CI running for it, I plan
> to drop them.

Thanks for clarification.

>> * SSH - community driver, still used on several ironic gate jobs and in
>> jobs of other projects under Baremetal program (like bifrost). Besides
>> AFAIK quite a number of people use it for development. So it is to stay in
>> the tree for some more time too, at least until all upstream gate jobs are
>> moved to ipmitool-based drivers.
>>

> Like Dmitry said, we should move these jobs over ASAP and then drop this
> driver.

Basically those are grenade job, couple of jobs in ironicclient and IPA,
bifrost itself and many (all?) inspector-related ones.
We also have our devstack plugin defaulting to pxe_ssh for
IRONIC_DEPLOY_DRIVER, and have it too in the default for
IRONIC_ENABLED_DRIVERS. Only one job seems to use these defaults implicitly
though.

Complete list of jobs still using *_ssh drivers is below.

Ironic
- gate-grenade-dsvm-ironic (pxe_ssh)
- gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-multitenant-network-ubuntu-xenial (agent_ssh)
- gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-inspector-nv (agent_ssh)

The inspector one seems easy.
The multitenant one - the multinode job is also testing Ironic with network
isolation on and is using ipmitool driver, so we might consider just
dropping the single node multitenant job and make the multinode job voting.
If not, single node multitenant could also be easily fixed.
Most problems I would expect with grenade...

Other projects under ironic governance:

ironic-ui, molteniron, ironic-tempest-plugin,
ironic-inspector-tempest-plugin do not have any functional/integration jobs
(last two are empty actually :) )

ironic-lib, virtualbmc jobs are using only ipmitool drivers

python-ironicclient
- gate-tempest-dsvm-python-ironicclient-src (pxe_ssh)
- gate-ironicclient-dsvm-functional (pxe_ssh as implicit default of ironic
devstack plugin, also implicitly uses default enabled drivers)

ironic-python-agent
- gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-inspector-src-ubuntu-xenial-nv (agent_ssh)

ironic-inspector
- gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-inspector (agent_ssh)
- gate-grenade-dsvm-ironic-inspector (pxe_ssh)
- gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-inspector-discovery (agent_ssh)

python-ironic-inspector-client
- gate-tempest-dsvm-python-ironic-inspector-client-ubuntu-xenial (agent_ssh)

bifrost
uses *_ssh drivers when in testing mode. Switching to virtualbmc would
require some effort.

>> * SNMP - people are working to enable testing it in CI, patches are
>> landing, stays in tree
>>

> Agree.
>

>> * VirtualBox - community driver, for testing only, VirtualBox can be used
>> via SSH driver and I am not aware of any plans for (third-party) CI for it
>> (although it would in principle be possible even in upstream). Is anyone
>> actually using this driver?
>>

> Someone that no longer works on Ironic submitted this. It's for using
> VirtualBox on a Windows host where we don't have SSH (it uses VBox's web
> API). This is also deprecated and I plan to remove it.
>

>> * MSFTOCS - vendor driver, I am not aware of any plans for third-party CI
>>

> Agree, I plan to drop this.
>

>> * SeaMicro - vendor driver, I am not aware of any plans for third-party CI
>>

> Agree, I plan to drop this.
>

>> Based on that I propose to remove VirtualBox, MSFTOCS and SeaMicro
>> drivers from ironic right away. If anybody is interested in supporting them
>> they would have to extract those drivers (together with unit tests and
>> docs) to separate repos or propose them to ironic-staging-drivers minding
>> the warning [2].
>>

>> [0] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs
>> /not-implemented/third-party-ci.html
>> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/397847
>> [2] http://ironic-staging-drivers.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
>> README.html#what-the-ironic-staging-drivers-is-not
>>

> Thanks for sending this, Pavlo. :)
>
> // jim

Cheers,

Dr. Pavlo Shchelokovskyy