[openstack-dev] [ironic] unsupported drivers and their future

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Thu Dec 8 16:58:09 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy <
pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com> wrote:

> HI all,
>
> we (ironic community) some time ago decided [0] to require third-party CI
> for any driver that is present in the main ironic code tree. I'd like to
> discuss the state of currently unsupported drivers and how to proceed with
> them.
>
> Here is the current rundown, please correct me if I've got something wrong:
>
> * AMT - already in ironic-staging-drivers repo, patch removing those from
> ironic is on review [1]

Agree - as a note, those were deprecated September 16, so we need to wait
for December 16 to land that.

I've -2'd the patch, but reviews welcome so we can land that on the 16th.

> * iBoot - already in ironic-staging-drivers repo, patch removing those
> from ironic is on review [1]

Ditto.

> * WakeOnLan - already in ironic-staging-drivers repo, patch removing those
> from ironic is on review [1]

Ditto.

> * IPMINative/Pyghmi - community driver, AFAIU community still considers
> those as a viable alternative for the future and is constantly
> re-evaluating maturity of pyghmi IPMI implementation, so these are to stay
> for now

Well, we deprecated these, unless someone gets CI running for it, I plan to
drop them.

> * SSH - community driver, still used on several ironic gate jobs and in
> jobs of other projects under Baremetal program (like bifrost). Besides
> AFAIK quite a number of people use it for development. So it is to stay in
> the tree for some more time too, at least until all upstream gate jobs are
> moved to ipmitool-based drivers.

Like Dmitry said, we should move these jobs over ASAP and then drop this
driver.

> * SNMP - people are working to enable testing it in CI, patches are
> landing, stays in tree

Agree.

> * VirtualBox - community driver, for testing only, VirtualBox can be used
> via SSH driver and I am not aware of any plans for (third-party) CI for it
> (although it would in principle be possible even in upstream). Is anyone
> actually using this driver?

Someone that no longer works on Ironic submitted this. It's for using
VirtualBox on a Windows host where we don't have SSH (it uses VBox's web
API). This is also deprecated and I plan to remove it.

> * MSFTOCS - vendor driver, I am not aware of any plans for third-party CI

Agree, I plan to drop this.

> * SeaMicro - vendor driver, I am not aware of any plans for third-party CI

Agree, I plan to drop this.

> Based on that I propose to remove VirtualBox, MSFTOCS and SeaMicro drivers
> from ironic right away. If anybody is interested in supporting them they
> would have to extract those drivers (together with unit tests and docs) to
> separate repos or propose them to ironic-staging-drivers minding the
> warning [2].
>

> [0] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/
> specs/not-implemented/third-party-ci.html
> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/397847
> [2] http://ironic-staging-drivers.readthedocs.io/en/
> latest/README.html#what-the-ironic-staging-drivers-is-not

Thanks for sending this, Pavlo. :)

// jim