[openstack-dev] [kolla] Question about config cinder volume

Christian Berendt berendt at betacloud-solutions.de
Mon Dec 5 12:00:15 UTC 2016

> On 2 Dec 2016, at 14:49, Jason HU <huzhijiang at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Will Glance use Cinder volume as storage automatically when I enable Cinder?

The default store for Glance is “file" when not using Ceph.

https://github.com/openstack/kolla-ansible/blob/master/ansible/roles/glance/templates/glance-api.conf.j2#L68-L71

You can change this by using custom configurations (http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla/advanced-configuration.html#openstack-service-configuration-in-kolla).

> 2. I heard that kolla has a third party plugin method which can be used to do some setup on target node. Can it be used to setup the cinder-volume vg? Is there any example on doing this?

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla/image-building.html#plugin-functionality

We support a plugin functionality for our Docker templates.

I think it is better to create the required volume group with a custom Ansible playbook during the bootstrap of your storage node.

> 3. The storage system is HDS AMS2300 which seems do not supported by any Cinder driver. So I have to use LVM backend. According to the cinder/glance bug mentioned in Kolla doc, does it mean that I can not deploy multi-controller scenario, unless using Ceph?

Check if you can use the HDS AMS2300 as external iSCSI storage (http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla/cinder-guide.html#cinder-back-end-with-external-iscsi-storage).

I think the use of LVM2 / iSCSI as a layer before the storage backend is not a good idea.

HTH, Christian.

--
Christian Berendt
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)

Mail: berendt at betacloud-solutions.de
Web: https://www.betacloud-solutions.de

Betacloud Solutions GmbH
Teckstrasse 62 / 70190 Stuttgart / Deutschland

Geschäftsführer: Christian Berendt
Unternehmenssitz: Stuttgart
Amtsgericht: Stuttgart, HRB 756139