[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Allowing Teams Based on Vendor-specific Drivers

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Dec 5 10:28:02 UTC 2016

Armando M. wrote:
> That's when I came up with the proposal of defining the neutron stadium
> as a list of projects that behave consistently and adhere to a common
> set of agreed principles, such as common backporting strategies, testing
> procedures, including our ability to claim the entire technology stack
> to be fully open and completely exercised with upstream infra resources:
> a list of projects that any member of the neutron core team should be
> able to stand behind and support it without too many ideological clashes.

+1

With our team-centric view of community, I don't think it's reasonable
to ask a project team to vouch for code they are not comfortable with
(whatever the reason). At the same time I think we need to find a way to
consider vendor driver development part of OpenStack, without
compromising on our open collaboration principles.

So I think the right trade-off is to recognize that driver teams are
separate beasts, with a narrow scope (implementing an interface designed
by another OpenStack project) and relaxed open collaboration rules...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)