[openstack-dev] [nova][placement][ironic] Progress on custom resource classes

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 17:10:34 UTC 2016

Ironic colleagues, heads up, please read the below fully! I'd like your
feedback on a couple outstanding questions.

tl;dr
-----

Work for custom resource classes has been proceeding well this cycle,
and we're at a point where reviews from the Ironic community and
functional testing of a series of patches would be extremely helpful.

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/custom-resource-classes+status:open

History
-------

As a brief reminder, in Newton, the Ironic community added a
"resource_class" attribute to the primary Node object returned by the
GET /nodes/{uuid} API call. This resource class attribute represents the
"hardware profile" (for lack of a better term) of the Ironic baremetal node.

In Nova-land, we would like to stop tracking Ironic baremetal nodes as
collections of vCPU, RAM, and disk space -- because an Ironic baremetal
node is consumed atomically, not piecemeal like a hypervisor node is.
We'd like to have the scheduler search for an appropriate Ironic
baremetal node using a simplified search that simply looks for node that
has a particular hardware profile [1] instead of searching for nodes
that have a certain amount of VCPU, RAM, and disk space.

In addition to the scheduling and "boot request" alignment issues, we
want to fix the reporting and account of resources in an OpenStack
deployment containing Ironic. Currently, Nova reports an aggregate
amount of CPU, RAM and disk space but doesn't understand that, when
Ironic is in the mix, that a significant chunk of that CPU, RAM and disk
isn't "targetable" for virtual machines. We would much prefer to have
resource reporting look like:

  48 vCPU total, 14 used
  204800 MB RAM total, 10240 used
  1340 GB disk total, 100 used
  250 baremetal profile "A" total, 120 used
  120 baremetal profile "B" total, 16 used

instead of mixing all the resources together.

Need review and functional testing on a few things

Now that the custom resource classes REST API endpoint is established
[2] in the placement REST API, we are figuring out an appropriate way of
migrating the existing inventory and allocation records for Ironic
baremetal nodes from the "old-style" way of storing inventory for VCPU,
MEMORY_MB and DISK_GB resources towards the "new-style" way of storing a
single inventory record of amount 1 for the Ironic node's
"resource_class" attribute.

The patch that does this online data migration (from within the
nova-compute resource tracker) is here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/404472/

I'd really like to get some Ironic contributor eyeballs on that patch
and provide me feedback on whether the logic in the
_cleanup_ironic_legacy_allocations() method is sound.

There are still a couple things that need to be worked out:

1) Should the resource tracker auto-create custom resource classes in
the placement REST API when it sees an Ironic node's resource_class
attribute set to a non-NULL value and there is no record of such a
resource class in the `GET /resource-classes` placement API call? My gut
reaction to this is "yes, let's just do it", but I want to check with
operators and Ironic devs first. The alternative is to ignore errors
about "no such resource class exists", log a warning, and wait for an
administrator to create the custom resource classes that match the
distinct Ironic node resource classes that may exist in the deployment.

2) How we are going to modify the Nova baremetal flavors to specify that
the flavor requires one resource where the resource is of a set of
custom resource classes? For example, let's say I'm have an Ironic
installation with 10 different Ironic node hardware profiles. I've set
all my Ironic node's resource_class attributes to match one of those
hardware profiles. I now need to set up a Nova flavor that requests one
of those ten hardware profiles. How do I do that? One solution might be
to have a hacky flavor extra_spec called
"ironic_resource_classes=CUSTOM_METAL_A,CUSTOM_METAL_B..."  or similar.
When we construct the request_spec object that gets sent to the
scheduler (and later the placement service), we could look for that
extra_spec and construct a special request to the placement service that
says "find me a resource provider that has a capacity of 1 for any of
the following resource classes...". The flavor extra_specs thing is a
total hack, admittedly, but flavors are the current mess that Nova has
to specify requested resources and we need to work within that mess
unfortunately...

The following patch series:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/custom-resource-classes+status:open

contains all the outstanding patches for the custom resource classes
work. Getting more eyeballs on these patches would be super. If you are
an Ironic operator that has some time to play with the new code and
offer feedback and testing, that would be super awesome. Please come
find me, cdent, bauzas, dansmith, mriedem, edleafe and others on IRC to
chat, or feel free to email this message back.

Thanks in advance,
-jay

[1] Or set of related hardware profiles.
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/391959/