[openstack-dev] [all][massively distributed][architecture]Coordination between actions/WGs

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Tue Aug 30 13:03:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016, at 05:36 AM, lebre.adrien at free.fr wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Sorry my lack of reactivity, I 've been out for the few last days.
>
> According to the different replies, I think we should enlarge the
> discussion and not stay on the vCPE use-case, which is clearly specific
> and represents only one use-case among the ones we would like to study.
> For instance we are in touch with NRENs in France and Poland that are
> interested to deploy up to one rack in each of their largest PoP in order
> to provide a distributed IaaS platform  (for further informations you can
> give a look to the presentation we gave during the last summit [1] [2]).
>
> The two questions were:
> 1./ Understand whether the fog/edge computing use case is in the scope of
> the Architecture WG and if not, do we need a massively distributed WG?

Besides the question of which WG this might fall under is the question
of how any of the work groups are going to engage with the project
communities. There is a group of developers pushing forward on cellsv2
in Nova there should be some level of engagement between them and
whomever is discussing the fog/edge computing use case. To me it seems
like there's some level of overlap between the efforts even if cellsv2
is not a full solution. But whatever conversations are taking place
about fog/edge or large scale distributed use cases seem  to be
happening in channels that I am not aware of, and I haven't heard any
other cells developers mention them either.

So let's please find a way for people who are interested in these use
cases to talk to the developers who are working on similar things.