[openstack-dev] [kolla] Requirement for bug when reno is present

Dave Walker email at daviey.com
Tue Aug 30 11:24:03 UTC 2016

On 30 August 2016 at 11:42, Paul Bourke <paul.bourke at oracle.com> wrote:

> Kolla,
>
> Do people feel we still want to require a bug-id in the commit message for
> features, when reno notes are present? My understanding is that till now
> we've required people to add bugs for non trivial features in order to
> track them as part of releases. Does/should reno supersede this?
>
> -Paul

I'm guess you raised this because my recent comment on a change you did...
but actually, I agree with you.  I don't think it is a good process, but
standardisation is key.

The issue comes around because Kolla wanted to use bugs to track potential
backports to stable/*.  However, I think this is generally overrated and
the Change-ID is suitable for this purpose.

I really hate raising bugs "just because", when realistically many of them
are not bugs and contain one-line style "Add this $feature" bug
description.  It just burns through Launchpad bug numbers, and will likely
never be looked at again.

--
Kind Regards,
Dave Walker