[openstack-dev] [all][massively distributed][architecture] Coordination between actions/WGs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 25 18:19:03 UTC 2016

lebre.adrien at free.fr wrote:
> [...]
> The goal of this email is to :
>
>     (i) understand whether the fog/edge computing use case is in the scope of the Architecture WG.
>
>     (ii) if not, whether it makes sense to create a working group that focus on scalability and multi-site challenges (Folks from Orange Labs and British Telecom for instance already told us that they are interesting by such a use-case).
>
>     (iii) what is the best way to coordinate our efforts with the actions performed in other WGs such as the Performance and Architecture ones (e.g., actions performed/decisions taken in the Architecture WG can have impacts on the massively distributed WG and thus  drive the way we should perform actions to progress to the Fog/Edge Computing target)

I think the two groups are complementary. The massively-distributed WG
needs to gather the parties interested in working in that, identify the
challenges and paint a picture of what the way forward could look like.

If only incremental changes or optional features are needed to achieve
the goal, I'd say the Arch WG doesn't really need to get involved. You
just need to push those features in the various impacted projects, with
some inter-project work coordination. But if the only way to achieve
those goals is to change to general architecture of OpenStack (for
example by needing Tricircle on a top cell in every OpenStack cloud),
then validation of the plan and assessment of how that could be rolled
out OpenStack-wide would involve the Arch WG (and ultimately probably
the TC).

The former approach is a lot easier than the latter :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)