[openstack-dev] [packaging-deb] - status of packaging directly within the OpenStack infra ?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu Aug 18 23:11:09 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 02:44:47PM +0200, Saverio Proto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just subscribed this list, usually I am on the operators list.
>
> I have been reading the archives of this list:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-June/097947.html
>
> I am more than happy to hear that packages will be built in the
> Openstack infra. Are we going to be able to have packages built
> automatically for every gerrit review?

Yes, that is possible. However, not setup currently. Today zigo is just driving
package builds manually. I expect we'll talk more about this in Barcelona.

> As far as I understood every operator has his own procedures to build
> packages for debian ubuntu, when an emergency patch is needed in a
> production system.
> It never managed to read documentation to build packages that is
> somewhat official.
>
> Here at SWITCH for example we use this:
> https://github.com/zioproto/ubuntu-cloud-archive-vagrant-vm/tree/xenial
> This procedure used to work for our Kilo packages, but now looks like
> something broke upstream.

One of the goals I've been working towards, is providing the generic
infrastructure for packagers to use which ever tooling they are used too rather
then force a tool on to the packager.  Today zigo has a build process in place
he is familiar however I'd likely use different build tools for packages for
openstack-infra.   Which, to me, is perfectly fine.

> Next week in NYC there will be the Openstack Ops Midcycle
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/NYC-ops-meetup
>
> There is a session about Ubuntu packages, looks like also Corey Bryant
> will be there.
>
> Is anyone coming to give an update about the packaging directly within the
> OpenStack infra ?

I wish I could, I'd be more then happy to give an update of the work on the
openstack-infra side.